The holiday season often means houseguests, and while you may not have time to completely remodel your guest bathroom, Handyman Connection is here with some easy ways to quickly enhance any outdated bathroom. And by the way…when there’s an opportunity for us to help, we’ve made sure to include our service link!
- The first and best improvement to a bathroom is thorough cleaning. While deep cleaning is hard work, it’s incredibly rewarding because the results can transform the room in a short period of time at almost no expense. Remove all of your personal items from the bathroom and give it the cleaning of a lifetime. A good cleaning is likely to expose old paint, holes in the walls, missing caulk, missing grout and other small problems. Be sure to clean your exhaust fan and medicine cabinet, as these tend to get quite dusty over time. Be sure to vacuum the inside of your bathroom cabinet and drawers. Cleaning takes a few hours and it is usually free if you have the supplies and tools on hand. While you’re at it, take note of any dated towel bars, fittings, faucets, shower heads, cabinet hardware and light fixtures.
- Now, it’s time to repair everything you discovered in your deep cleaning. This is likely to include holes in the walls, missing tile and grout, missing caulk and other problems. It’s also a good time to check for and repair plumbing problems.
- Paint is often called the most inexpensive and effective remodeling tool! Paint your bathroom ceiling using a paint colour several shades lighter than your wall colour, as this will make the bathroom feel larger than it actually is. Neutralize your coloured porcelain fixtures by using a neutral gray satin paint on the walls. Finish your cabinet using an espresso coloured trim paint. Make your trim pop with crisp white paint and spray paint your exhaust fan cover with white plastic spray paint. Many bathrooms can be painted in a few hours – and you’ll be shocked to see what a transformation a fresh coat of paint can create in a bathroom.
- Add new finishes to transform your room – you’d be surprised at what an effect updating your hardware and accessories can have. Install new towel bars, roll holders, outlet covers, switchplates, hardware, fixtures and faucets. All of these projects can be done with simple household tools.
- It’s all in the details. Finish off the bathroom with a new shower bar, curtain and hangers. Consider adding artwork or framed photos to tie your colour palette together.
A great way to reuse an existing mirror is to glue a picture frame around it using construction adhesive. Add easy-to-install roll-out wire drawers under the cabinet to increase storage space. These upgrades are economical and they can dramatically improve your bathroom.
If you find that you need a little help getting your home ready for holiday guests, you can always call on the experts at Handyman Connection! Contact us today for a free, no-obligation project estimate.