Home Maintenance / September 22, 2015
The weather is getting cooler, which means families may begin to increasingly utilize fireplaces. When used, fireplaces have the potential to be dangerous, especially if used improperly. Carbon monoxide poisoning is also an issue that the general population might not be as educated about. Carbon monoxide is an invisible killer– it is an odorless and colorless gas which produces symptoms that people generally tend to overlook. Although we should monitor these detectors throughout the year, particularly within this next cooler season, it is important to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), it is recommended:
Following these guidelines are the first steps in ensuring that your home is protected and safe for your entire family. According to the NFPA, three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or smoke alarms that did not work. If you are unsure on how to change the batteries of your detectors, contact your local Handyman Connection experts today!