We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it. We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it.
Electrical / April 26, 2023
You rely on electricity to power every room in your home. In the kitchen, electric appliances make it easier to prepare and cook meals, but combining electricity and wet surfaces can lead to hazardous conditions. Electric shocks pose a serious risk. You can be seriously injured by an electric shock in the kitchen. Fires can also start from an electric shock. Electrical contractors in Vaughan offer advice on avoiding an electrical shock in your kitchen.
When a kitchen appliance has a damaged electrical cord, replace it. Don’t repair a cord or plug on your own. Even a small nick in a cord can be hazardous if the cord gets wet or if you handle the cord or plug with wet hands. Always handle electrical appliances with care. Use dry hands. Don’t let children use kitchen appliances unsupervised.
If something is stuck in your toaster, don’t use metal forks or knives to dislodge it without unplugging the toaster. Using something metal can cause an electrical shock or even worse, a fire. The crumbs left on toasters are flammable, so it doesn’t take much to start a fire. Toasters heat up to 260 degrees Celsius, so it’s important to be careful when using a toaster. Some residential electricians in Vaughan recommend unplugging a toaster when it’s not in use. You could also buy one with an automatic shutoff feature.
Pure water acts as an insulator, but the water that comes out of your tap is rarely pure. Tap water, even when it’s safe for drinking, has added minerals such as fluoride, that cause the water to conduct electricity, creating electrical shocks. In the kitchen, you shouldn’t only keep plugs away from the sink. Water can create a hazard in other ways when combined with an electrical appliance.
Appliances aren’t the only electrical hazards in the kitchen. Light switches, outlets, lights and extension cords can also be problematic. When one of these devices is malfunctioning, contact electrical contractors Vaughan to make repairs before using them. Know where the circuit breakers are located in your home, to be able to switch them off if you notice a problem with your electrical devices. Don’t switch the breaker on and off quickly, as if it was a light switch. You could damage a breaker that way. Switch the breaker off before unplugging a defective device.
Power bars that allow you to plug in multiple appliances are great for protecting your devices from lightning strikes or other energy surges. These power bars aren’t meant to plug in multiple kitchen appliances. Avoid an electrical overload by only plugging in two appliances to each outlet. If you do use power strips, make sure to choose one that shuts off in case of a power overload.
Electrical contractors in Vaughan with Handyman Connection offer professional electrical repair services. Keep your home safe by getting an assessment if you believe that your kitchen isn’t handling the electrical load. If your home is older, rewiring will help you manage the greater electrical needs of this generation. Handyman Connection offers free project consultations and estimates. Contact us to get started with your project.