Handyman Connection is a Great Fit for You! Visit our Career Page! Click Learn More.
Home Maintenance / January 10, 2022
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance, such as a furnace or a water heater, is not functioning or vented properly. Here are important tips to protect your family and home from the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Do not use generators inside the house. In the event of a power outage, do not use a generator inside your living space. Instead, place the machine at a safe distance away from your house, approximately 10 to 15 feet.
Inspect fuel-burning appliances regularly. In the winter, furnaces or other fuel-burning appliances that produce carbon monoxide are commonplace. If these pieces of equipment are not inspected and maintained properly by a professional, it can lead to a host of safety concerns. Have all your heating devices serviced annually to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and fires.
Use the kitchen vents when the stove is in use. Another frequent source of carbon monoxide in a home is the kitchen stove. To eliminate the threat of overexposure, make sure to run your exhaust fans when cooking, especially during the holiday season when stoves are left for extended periods. It is also recommended that you open a window in the kitchen to allow cool, fresh air inside the room and let stale air escape.
Install carbon monoxide detectors. Remember, detection is your first line of defense against emergencies. Do not forget to install good-quality carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home. Also, regularly test your alarms, and replace them on time, every five to seven years.
For professional and reliable home maintenance solutions, turn to Handyman Connection® of Mason. Our skilled team offers carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting and more. Give us a call at (513) 733-3777, or fill out our convenient online form to schedule an appointment.