We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it. We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it.
Maintenance / September 3, 2014
Tile flooring is a sophisticated and lovely addition to any home. In addition to its aesthetic benefits, it is also known for being low maintenance and durable. It is a great choice for a home with children or pets because it is easy to clean. But, one thing that many homeowners with tile flooring find frustrating is when grout starts to look dark and dingy. Over time, grout, even when sealed, will start to look dirty and simple mopping will not get the job done. Below are grout cleaning tips that any homeowner can do to keep their tile flooring looking its best.
· Any time you clean your floor, it is best to start with sweeping to remove any loose dirt or debris. This will make the cleaning process much easier and more efficient.
· Next, it is not necessary to get out every chemical under the sun. Keep it simple and start with some common household ingredients. You can start with dish soap and water.
· For an added kick (that most grout can probably use), mix one part water and one part white vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle and spray on the grout lines. Let the solution sit there for 10 minutes.
· Take a hard-bristled brush and begin to scrub the grout lines. If it seems like some additional cleaning power is needed, make a paste with baking soda and water and apply the paste to the grout lines. Let the paste sit on the lines for 10 minutes and scrub the paste with a hard-bristled brush.
· Wipe up the dirty water on the tile as you go so that the dirt does not settle back into the grout and dry again.
· If stains are being particularly pesky, and you need to bring out the big guns, mix a solution of 3/4 cup bleach with 1 gallon of water and spray the solution on grout lines. Again, allow the solution to sit on the grout for 10 minutes before scrubbing it with a hard-bristled brush.
· Practice patience, there is no substitution for scrubbing every grout line and no shortcuts. Take your time and your patience will pay off.
· Once you have scrubbed all of the grout, mop the floor so that it is completely cleaned of any of the solution and dirt.
· Now, with clean grout to work with, it is time to seal your grout. Grout sealer can be bought at any hardware store and is simple to apply. Simply paint the grout sealer in the grout lines and it will protect the grout from quickly getting dirty again. Sealer is not a final solution and will need to be re-applied over time as grout begins to look dirty again.
· Now that you have sealed your grout, sit back and enjoy how clean and inviting your tile and grout looks.