Decks are a favourite place to relax for most homeowners. Since you spend a lot of time entertaining friends and family there, it’s a good idea to keep this area well-maintained. Decks should be routinely checked for safety issues, such as loose nails and screws and broken or warped boards that are trip hazards. These outdoor spaces add beauty and value to your home, so it’s essential to call an experienced craftsman to provide deck services and handle repairs. Our team in Kitchener-Waterloo will get your deck ready for the outdoor seasons.
When Should You Repair or Replace a Deck?
Decks are built to withstand tough weather conditions and a lot of use. With the help of repair services, your deck will last for years to come. Some parts need to be replaced after heavy wear. You can hire a professional tradesman to inspect the safety and stability of the structure and determine if it can be fixed. If there are only minor issues, a simple makeover may be the way to go. However, if there are rotted support beams or if the deck boards are beginning to sag or bend, the best plan would be to install a new one.
What Things Should You Inspect on a Deck?
There are some warning signs that a deck is deteriorating or no longer safe to use. Here are some key issues to check before you plan your next party.
- Support posts: Rotted posts are always a safety concern. Most building codes require concrete footings to help prevent rot, but older decks may have posts that rest on the soil. A specialist should check the supports for structural integrity to make certain everything is sound.
- Footings: Poured concrete footings are typically required by most local building codes. In colder climates, freezing and thawing may cause footings to crack, heave or drop. If this occurs, you could need to have the footings and posts repaired or the deck replaced if the damage is severe.
- Deck boards: Worn deck boards are usually the first sign maintenance is needed. A contractor can replace specific boards or rotted areas. Cracked and splintered boards don’t have to be replaced immediately unless they impede safe walking.
- Railings: Railings should always be secure and in good condition. Rails located below roof overhangs or gutters become saturated. In shaded areas, the boards tend to soak up moisture and deteriorate over time. People lean against deck railings or sit on them, so it’s essential to locate problem areas and fix them right away.
- Soil erosion: Check around support posts for soil erosion. Loose soil allows posts to shift and destabilizes the structure. Poor drainage issues can also cause footings to erode. It’s essential to have these issues assessed by a professional contractor.
- General maintenance: Deck maintenance is a consistent issue for homeowners. A home contractor will get your deck ready to use and will advise you if it’s time for a replacement. They can also beautify the look with staining or painting services.
provides reputable craftsmen to do the jobs you need around your home or for deck installation in the Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas.
The Handyman Difference
The Handyman Connection has a team of skilled craftsmen who do high-quality deck repair and replacement work. We pride ourselves on superior workmanship and great customer support. We are ready to serve you on a specific job or for ongoing maintenance work throughout the year. Contact us to learn more
about our variety of home maintenance services.