Fortunately, Eden Prairie has a relatively mild summer climate, but temperatures can climb to uncomfortable levels in July and August. Here are some steps you can take to reduce your home’s summer cooling costs during the warmest days of the Minnesota summer, courtesy of your friends at Handyman Connection of Eden Prairie.
- Plug up any holes. The cool air spewing out of vents should be treated like a precious vapor that must not escape. Inexpensive plastic film available at hardware stores can boost insulation around older windows where drafts are most likely. Foam and caulking can also help seal problem areas, as can extra insulation in the attic. Professionals can help with any installation challenges.
- Close those shades. Anything that keeps the sun from coming in and creating a greenhouse effect will make it easier for your air-conditioning unit to maintain cooler temperatures. For the longer term, consider planting leafy trees or bushes in areas that give your home more coverage.
- Keep the filters clean. It’s important to clean out air conditioning filters once a month, which usually involves running water through them and letting them air-dry.
- Program your thermostat. Programmable thermostats, which allow the temperature to automatically rise during the day when your home is unoccupied, can lead to annual savings of 30 percent. Even though most systems today have programmable thermostats, most homeowners only use them half the time, which means a lot of systems work harder than necessary.
- Step away from the oven. Here’s your excuse to order take-out, or at least rely more on pre-prepared meals. Turning on the oven heats up the rest of the house, too, which forces your air conditioner to go into overdrive. If you still want to cook, consider an outdoor grill, toaster oven, or even the stovetop, which gives off less heat than the oven.
Summer’s rising temperatures shouldn’t mean a drastic rise in your cooling bill if you follow the steps outlined above. If you have a home maintenance task, call on the experts at Handyman Connection of Eden Prairie. Our goal is to provide you with excellent workmanship and superior customer service…guaranteed. Call us today at 952-563-8200 or click to request a free, no-obligation project estimate!