Q: What home maintenance items should I concentrate on in the Fall?
A: Autumn is a great time to prep your home before colder temperatures and Winter weather arrive. Here are (5) important Fall home maintenance projects:
1. Clean gutters and downspouts to help prevent ice dams – It’s important to clean out gutter debris before the 1st snowfall. Snowmelt will refreeze in clogged gutters and cause an ice dam.
2. Seal leaky doors & windows to help prevent energy loss – Add or replace weather stripping and caulking around exterior doors and windows to seal gaps & keep chilly winter air from entering.
3. Protect your pipes from freezing – Turn off Hose Bibs, disconnect outside water hoses and seal any openings around the hose bib to help prevent cold air from getting in. Be sure pipes on exterior walls are properly insulated.
4. Inspect your attic to determine if you have adequate ventilation and insulation – The recommended insulation level for most attics is R-38 or about 10-15 inches, depending on the type of insulation.
5. Seal critter openings to help prevent unwanted guests – Seal potential entryways to your home such as cracks, gaps, and holes in exterior walls, soffits & fascia to help keep critters out of your home.
Leave it to Handyman Connection to fix up your home this fall! Contact Handyman Connection to schedule your free evaluation!