When people are in the East York, ON, area and are close to their golden years, they might want aging-in-place renovations so they can live in the comfort of their house for years. You can have family and friends stay for visits and celebrations and hold on to the furniture, habits and decorations you have grown to love. While you and your spouse may remain healthy for many years, aging-in-place services can ease the transition into retirement.
Handyman Connection of Scarborough contractors can conduct an array of aging-in-place services. If completed right, these remodels make maintenance easier. They can also make your space better to navigate for wheelchairs and other mobility aids such as walkers and electric scooters. These upgrades can also make senior care simpler, so you can care better your partner or spouse and keep them at home longer.
Whether you need minor remodel jobs to stay in your residence or a complete remodel, call the Handyman Connection specialists in East York, ON. We are pleased to answer all your questions or plan for a free estimate.
Floor Plans for Aging-in-Place
- Building wider halls and doorways to make them wheelchair accessible for seniors can be important for aging-in-place renovations
- Installation of electric chair lifts for stairs or elevators can make it possible to stay in your own home for many years
- One-floor homes are a must for many retirees. We can help remodel your house to age in place peacefully without having to navigate stairways
Senior Home Exterior Remodeling
- Brick or siding repairs can end the hassle of ladders and painting
- Deck repairs can improve safety, and remodeling such as new ramps and wider access can make your outdoor space easier to navigate
- Landscaping upgrades such as plants that are easier to maintain can cut down on the need for gardening, weeding and watering
Upgrade the Bathroom for Senior Life
Remodeling small bathrooms with an aging-in-place bathroom remodeling project can help you live at your house during retirement. Some of these renovations could include:
- Adding bracing in the shower
- Replacing faucets so you don’t have to twist and exacerbate conditions such as arthritis
- Adding space to turn around in
- Installing a bench in the shower stall for safety
- Adding overhead lighting in the shower stall
- Installing bracing around the toilet and bath to prevent slips and falls
- Raising toilet seats
- Separate spaces for caregivers
The Little Things Matter in Age-in-Place Remodels
- Installation of non-slippery hard floors and replacement of impractical rugs with new carpet of less than 1.5-inch pile can make wheelchair access simple
- Minor changes such as doorknob replacement with levers and easy open windows and blinds, thermostats moved lower on the wall, switches and outlets near doors, and installation of emergency 911 switches can make retiring at home more convenient
Entryway Remodeling for Seniors
- Installation of non-slip flooring can improve safety
- Motion lighting, flattened doorways and garage additions make senior life easier
- Wheelchair ramps to exterior doors and in garages can make coming and going less stressful when aging-in-place
Adapting a bedroom for you to stay in so caregivers can be with you while you live in retirement can be the best option. Ask about remodeling just one bathroom or installation of a chair lift to make this possible.
Call the aging-in-place renovations experts at Handyman Connection in Scarborough, ON, to get your questions answered and plan for a comfortable, secure retirement home.