Make the most of your home now more than ever! Our craftsmen are here for you.


We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it. We offer a wide range of services for that fresh look, or just maintenance or updates to keep your home functioning and safe. Regardless of the size of the job, we have a craftsman that can tackle it.

Learn More!

Electrical  /  January 24, 2023

Red Deer Electrician: 3 Causes of Electrical Shock

Causes of electrical shock

Electricity is a fundamental part of your home and life. From house lights to kitchen appliances, electrical power makes living easier. Unfortunately, the power source is also hazardous. Electrical shock and electrocution are real possibilities in residential and commercial properties, especially when people are careless. According to an electrician in Red Deer, there are many possible causes of electric shock in a property, and knowing what they are can protect homeowners from unnecessary pain. The key to staying safe, however, is hiring an electrician to inspect and fix your system. Regular system inspections can save lives.

1. Outdated Outlets

Outdated outlets are not necessarily dangerous or a fire hazard, but they can present a risk of electrical shock. A fair sign that an outlet is outdated is it is only compatible with two-prong plugs. More modern outlets allow for three prongs and contain a ground wire for extra protection against shock. Two-prong outlets do not have a ground wire, which is why electrical shock is more likely to occur. 

The ground wire provides a safe pathway for unstable electrical currents. Because a two-prong outlet does not contain a ground wire, the only path for unstable currents is through you. 

If your home has many two-prong outlets, you may want to have your electrical system assessed. You may also want to hire an electrician to upgrade your outlets to newer, safer models.

2. Mishandling Electricity

Many homeowners do not want to hire electrical repair services because they worry about the costs. Unfortunately, because most homeowners have little to no experience handling electricity, they often end up shocking and injuring themselves. 

Electricity is dangerous, even in residential properties. If you insist on DIY methods, there are several safety tips to consider, including:

  • Ensuring dry hands before touching a switch or outlet
  • Turning off power and consulting professionals before doing any work on the system
  • Keeping water sources at a distance from outlets and appliances
  • Using child-proofing to protect little ones from shocks
  • Avoiding contact with live wires or hot circuits

Regardless of your confidence in your ability, if you have limited or no experience working with electricity, call a professional. Your well-being is more important than saving a few bucks. Honestly, most DIYers spend more money on projects than if they had just hired a professional from the start. A DIY approach to electricity is never a good idea.

3. Faulty Appliances

Faulty or old appliances can also result in a significant jolt if you aren’t careful. As appliances age, they may not channel electrical currents as well as they used to, which means a homeowner might get an unwelcome surprise when they plug the appliance in. 

Before plugging in an older appliance, inspect it for frayed wiring, broken cords, or damaged circuitry. In fairness, you should also check new appliances for signs of wear. Frayed cords and damaged connections all point to a potentially faulty device. 

Before you use an appliance, you should have it checked, especially if it is used or has been in storage for a while. A professional technician can assess the device and inform you if it is a health and safety risk.

Electrical shocks are common but painful. With modern technology, there is no reason a homeowner should experience such discomfort. Unfortunately, not all houses are up to modern standards regarding outlets and appliances.

To protect yourself and your family against electrical shock, you should hire a licensed and experienced electrician to inspect your system. Contact Handyman Connection to find some of the best electricians Canada has to offer. The service vets every professional to ensure their experience and skill set to match the client’s or consumer’s needs.

We Offer Project Consultations!

Request an Estimate