Here are some helpful tips on how to make the exterior view of your home appear beautiful.
Have you noticed that the exterior of your home is starting to look a little beaten up or worn out? Is the paint looking faded or chipped? Exterior home paint does not last forever and does need to be re-done after a period of time because of the abuse it takes from the natural elements outdoors. When it comes time to give the exterior of your home a much needed facelift, it is important to follow the tips below to ensure your exterior home paint turns out the way you envisioned.
- Clean the Exterior
- With any painting project, you have to start with a clean surface. Once you have cleaned everything you will be able to better see what needs repair and will be able to properly apply paint. Washing may not seem that important, but, as HouseLogic points out, it is actually very important, “Mildew thrives under fresh paint, which won’t adhere well to dirty, grimy, spore-sporting exterior walls. So wash your home’s exterior before painting. Use a mix of water and a phosphate-free cleanser such as Jomax House Cleaner ($15 per gallon) and Mildew Killer Concentrate ($8.50 for 32 ounces). You can hand-apply the solution with a sponge, which will take forever and many trips up and down the ladder. Or, hire a pro to pressure wash siding—not a task for an amateur, who can damage siding by pushing water under boards. (Cost varies by location: $150 to $750 for a professional to pressure wash the exterior of a 2,100-square-foot house.)”
- Repair Damage
- Next, you will need to repair damage to the exterior so that you will have an ideal exterior to paint. Patch and sand so that surfaces are smooth, caulk trim, and clean again as necessary.
- Protect Things That Are Not Being Painted
- Protect windows, doors and fixtures that are not being painted so that they are not damaged. Utilize tape and plastic sheeting so that you can paint without worry of accidental spills or splatter.
- Prime & Paint
- It is important to prime the exterior so that the paint goes on smoothly and looks its best. A water-based acrylic paint works very well for painting the exterior of a home. Paint on a warm, sunny day so that paint will be able to dry quickly and not be damaged by bad weather. Apply more than one coat so that you ensure that your newly painted exterior looks its best.
While it is certainly possible for a homeowner to paint the exterior of their home, not everyone is up for a big DIY project. It will require a significant amount of time, tools and research. If home painting is not exactly your thing, consider hiring a professional to come to your home and paint the exterior. Professionals have knowledge and expertise, as well as the tools, that they can bring to the job to ensure the exterior of your home looks perfect!