In today’s economy, more people are choosing to stay in their homes and renovate instead of selling. Some people will renovate to get a better price, however, giving your home a face-lift just for your own comfort and pleasure can be just as rewarding, or more.
Big or small, any reno can make a huge difference to the value of your home.
1. Fresh Paint – Paint fades over the years. Sun damage, frequent washing and just normal wear and tear can really take a toll. A fresh coat of paint can make a world of difference.
2. New Floors and Floorboards – Floors take a lot of abuse, especially if you have pets or kids. Rip out the out and lay down the new for a great look that will freshen up the whole room. And don’t forget the floorboards. They could probably use freshening up as well.
3. Add a Room- Every house has some spare space, usually in the basement. This space makes a great games room, second living room or even a small apartment.
4. Bathroom Expansion – Hall closets are often located on the other side of a bathroom wall. Taking out the wall and expanding the bathroom is quite simple and inexpensive.
5. Deck – A deck looks great and makes summer entertaining a blast. Even everyday meals are much more enjoyable on a nice backyard deck.
6. Laundry – A functional laundry room can make wash day a pleasure. All you need is fresh paint, some shelving and maybe a few cupboards. This will clear up the clutter and make doing laundry much easier.
7. Sunroom – Bring more sunshine into your home. An all-glass sunroom is an extension of the outdoors. It’s a great place to visit with friends, read a book or just relax with a nice cup of coffee.
8. Insulation – Insulation is a hidden improvement that you can’t see, but you sure will feel the difference. Your home will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer once all the leaks are plugged.
9. Programmable Thermostat – This helps save money. The average household saves $180 per year in heating and cooling costs. If you do plan to sell, remember that most buyers expect houses to have programmable thermostats.
10. Hot Water Heater – Being without hot water or not having enough can be a real pain. A faulty hot water heater can be very uncomfortable for you, but it could be a deal breaker if you plan to sell.
The best rule of thumb is don’t let your home fall apart in the first place. Basic updates, routine maintenance and a few repairs here and there can keep your house in great shape and add the most value to your home. Repaint the walls every few years; replace worn out floors; repair a leaky roof before it causes water damage in your ceiling or walls; replace rotten wood and eliminate mold and mildew as soon as it is discovered.
Our professional team has years of experience under their belt to remodel your home in a way that will speak to the lifestyle that your family will enjoy. We make sure your home remodeling task is in the safe hands of the top Los Angeles home remodeling company. Contact Handyman Connection of Pasadena today for a free quote get your home remodeling project underway.