As almost every homeowner knows, random power spikes like power fluctuations around your home can cause serious damage to your electronic devices, which can potentially force you to spend thousands in replacements and repairs. With that in mind, it’s highly recommended that you buy a surge protector for your home. That way, you can add a layer of protection between your electronics and random power spikes. But before you do so, there are a few things that you need to know about surge protectors, such as:
1. Get a Surge Protector That Offers a Warranty – Surprisingly enough, there are some surge protectors that offer warranties on the gears up to a certain amount. While you most likely won’t need this warranty, it’s still a good asset to have in the event that your electronic equipment is damaged by a surge, spike, or lightning strike even while connected to the surge protector.
2. Buy a Surge Protector With Wide Spacing – When purchasing a surge protector, experts recommend that you purchase one that has wide spaces between the sockets or sockets that can be rotated or moved. That way, you can also accommodate the chunky plugs that you need to plug into the surge protector.
3. The More Joules, The Better – Surge protectors usually offer protection in amounts known as joules and when purchasing surge protectors, experts say the more joules, the better. By doing so, you’ll be able to better protect your electronic devices from one large surge or multiple small surges.
4. Purchase a Surge Protector With a Lot of Outlets – Alternatively, you should also purchase a surge protector with a lot of outlets to add more gear without getting rid of your current one. By obtaining a surge protector with plenty of outlets, you’ll be able to plug more electronic devices into your surge protector to prevent them from sustaining damage in the event of a power surge.
5. They Don’t Last Forever – Surprisingly enough, some people believe that surge protectors last forever. In reality, however, this isn’t actually the case as the joule rating of surge protectors eventually wears out, reducing its protective capabilities in the process. This means that one day, you’ll still need to have it replaced to effectively protect your devices.
Looking for someone who can help you maintain your home? Don’t hesitate to turn to Handyman Connection® of Orange County. When it comes to electrical and home remodeling projects, we are the leading experts to turn to and we won’t let you down! Give us a call at (714) 288-0077 or fill out our contact form to get in touch with us and request a free estimate today!