National Fire Prevention Week Runs From Oct 8th to Oct 14th
National Fire Prevention Week is the longest running public health observance in the history of the U.S. It has been sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) since 1922. Fire Prevention Week is proclaimed annually in Canada by the Governor General.
Thanks to the efforts of the NFPA and many other national, state and local agencies, the number of people who die in fires each year continues to decline.
Plan 2 Ways Out: Every Second Counts
In 2017 the National Fire Prevention Week which was held Oct 8-14 wanted to reinforce the fact that every second counts and to have 2 Planned Ways Out! This could be the difference between escaping or the tragic loss of life.
Here’s some simple steps to teach your family to reduce the risk.
- Make a map of your home. Have all members of the household involved in this process. Mark two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Your home should be clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- When leaving the home close all doors. This may help slow the fire and smoke from spreading
- Never go back inside a burning building. Stay outside away from the fire.
- Do practice drills of your plans. Do your practices in day & night and using the 2 different plans.
At Handyman Connection of Kelowna our reliable, professional craftsman are available to assist you in making sure doors and windows are in working condition. Give us a call for a free evaluation.
Smoke Alarms: The First Line of Defense
Have you checked your smoke alarms lately? Not just the batteries. Checking the manufacturing date is important as smoke alarms that are over 10 years old should be replaced.
Need assistance installing smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors! Or if you would like to upgrade your alarms to a hard-wired system, call the experts at Handyman Connection of Kelowna. The job will be done right and on time. No more sleepless night wondering if the alarm works.