It’s not at all uncommon for today’s families to have one or two grandparents living in the home as well. While they may be living happily under your roof right now, it’s never too early to consider making some changes to the interior of your home to ensure their continued comfort and safety as they age. Handyman Connection of Blue Ash has a list of remodeling ideas to make your home’s interior senior-friendly.
- Create a living area on the main level of the home, including a full bathroom
- Make sure there are no steps between rooms/areas on the same level
- For wheelchair use, a clear/turn space of 5’x5’ should be allowed in the living room, kitchen, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom
- Hallways should be well-lit and at a minimum, 36” wide
- Interior doors need 32” of clear width, which requires a 36-inch door, and doors should be fitted with levered door hardware
- Windows should have easy to operate hardware
- Bathroom sinks should be fitted with lever handle fixtures
- Have thermostatic or anti-scald controls installed to prevent burns
These are just a few of the ideas that you can utilize to make sure the older members of your household can maintain their comfort and independence. Visit this page for even more suggestions, and call Handyman Connection of Blue Ash when you are ready to get started! We offer quality service that’s done right the first time. Call us today for a free, no-obligation project estimate.