As much as we’d like our homes to run themselves, they do require regular maintenance. A well-maintained home looks more attractive and functions more efficiently. Proper maintenance also allows you to catch small problems before they become big, costly ones. To take the guesswork out of home maintenance and cut down on stress, consider creating an annual home maintenance calendar to keep you on track.
Make a list of home maintenance tasks. Start your list with the regular household chores you already perform around your home, then move on to the tasks that are easily forgotten, such as changing filters and vacuuming the refrigerator coils. Also, don’t forget to include seasonal maintenance such as clearing gutters and cleaning out the chimney.
Organize by frequency. While some home maintenance tasks need to be performed monthly, others you can get by doing once a year. Divide your listed chores into categories: monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually and seasonally. For most tasks, there is no set month that they must be performed. Just decide what works best for your home, your family and your schedule, and get them on a calendar, whether it be paper or digital.
Sample maintenance chores. If you are having trouble with your list, take a look at some of these examples of common tasks you would find on a home maintenance list.
Monthly or bi-monthly
- Change out HVAC filters as needed.
- Clean/degrease range hood filters.
- Inspect grout and caulk in tiled areas, and reseal/reapply as needed.
- Clean out refrigerator, then wipe out and deodorize the inside.
- Change out batteries in smoke detectors.
- Clean gutters (late spring and late fall).
- Reverse the direction of ceiling fans (late spring and late fall).
- Schedule an air conditioner inspection (early spring).
- Flush out hot water heater to remove sediment.
- Aerate lawn for optimal growth (early spring).
Trust Handyman Connection for All Your Maintenance Needs
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, it’s a good place for you to get started with your own annual maintenance calendar. While many of these tasks can be performed on your own, any household electrical repairs should be handled by an experienced handyman from the Handyman Connection. Contact us today at 1-800-88-HANDY for help with all of your home improvement and maintenance needs, including electrical and carpentry repairs!