Painting a room is a relatively inexpensive improvement that can yield amazing results. However, it does require patience and careful attention to detail. Follow these tips to achieve professional-quality results for your next project.
- Before you paint. Preparing walls for paint is essential to achieve good results and avoid problems along the way. Cover furniture and fixtures before you begin. Start by removing wallpaper and any flaking paint with a putty knife. If needed, patch small holes with spackle, sand smooth and apply primer. If you’re working with new walls, be sure to apply primer first. You should also prime if you’re going from a dark to a light color, or vice versa. If you are painting over an oil-based paint, you will need to sand the surface and apply a bonding primer.
- Prepare the surface. Sanding smooths out imperfections and roughs up the surface so it will hold paint better. Use a pole sander fitted with 120-grit sandpaper, and sweep from side to side as you work from the ceiling down. Vacuum dust from the walls and trim. Wipe down the walls using a damp sponge or cloth.
- Plan first, then paint. Paint fumes can be overpowering, so be sure you have adequate ventilation while you are working. Roll paint on from the top down, starting with the ceiling, then covering the walls. Paint one wall at a time, and apply two coats.
- Paint trim last. Once the walls are completely dry, apply painter’s tape along the top and bottom wall-trim edge, pressing down firmly with a flexible putty knife to seal the edges. Use a brush to paint the trim. Carefully remove the tape shortly after painting to prevent peeling, or follow the tape manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Cleaning up. Latex-based paints can be rinsed from brushes and roller covers using running water. Reshape brushes and hang to dry. Roller covers should be allowed to dry in an upright position and covered to keep them clean until the next use.
Call a Handyman
No time to paint? Let the experts at Handyman Connection take care of the details, so you can enjoy a fresh take on your home. Call us at 1-800-88-HANDY for a free, no-obligation project estimate.