For many people who struggle with the winter blues, spring is their favorite time of year. Celebrate the new season with these easy ways to freshen things up and welcome spring into your home.
- Ditch the stuff. We all have a tendency to accumulate “stuff.” No matter how you came by it, an excess of material possessions can have a negative effect on the cleanliness of your home and your health. Let’s face it: clutter is stressful and nobody needs unnecessary stress in their life. Simplify your life by recycling old newspapers and magazines, getting rid of clothes that don’t fit or you no longer wear, and purging anything that’s broken, worn out or of no use to you. You’ll feel much lighter when you do!
- Dive into spring cleaning. Even though deep cleaning your house isn’t a glamorous job, it’s certainly a necessary one to get rid of the dirt and grime that has accumulated over the winter months. Spring cleaning can encompass a variety of tasks; it’s really a matter of personal preference. No matter what’s on your preferred cleaning checklist, when you’re done your house will smell fresh and clean, and you’ll have a huge feeling of accomplishment.
- Air out the house. Homes that have been closed up for the winter often start feeling stuffy, and unpleasant smells linger without a breeze to clear them out. As soon as it’s warm enough, throw open the windows and let fresh air flow in and chase away those bad odors. You can even create a natural air freshener and deodorizer by simmering a pot of orange rinds or lemon slices mixed with spices on the stove.
- Swap out winter décor and linens. The coming of spring means it’s time to get rid of heavy winter comforters, thick flannel sheets, and warm blankets and pillows. Before storing winter blankets and comforters, be sure to wash or dry clean them. Swap out heavy winter linens for thinner, cooler ones. Use bright, springy throw pillows and light throws for the finishing touch.
- Bring on the blooms. Not only will fresh flowers and greenery add life and a touch of spring to your rooms, they’ll also bring pleasant scents that will help get rid of stale winter air.
Give Your Home Professional Care
Another less enjoyable part of spring is the general home repair and maintenance that’s inevitably required after damaging winter storms. If you don’t have the time or experience to take care of necessary repairs on your own and need to find local handyman services, Handyman Connection is the place to call. Contact us at 1-800-88-HANDY to schedule a consultation and get a free estimate from one of our craftsmen.