- Don’t over-clean. Focus on removing clutter, especially personal items such as mail and bills. If you must dust, dust only where it is obviously needed and leave the rest until the after party clean up. If you want to spend your cleaning time wisely, focus on the guest bathroom.
- Pull together friendly seating arrangements. Good furniture arrangement encourages socializing by bringing the seating together in conversation areas. Anchor the seating around an area rug to up the warmth and comfort. Make sure each chair has access to the coffee table or its own side table, so a guest can put down his or her drink. Small stools or ottomans can be moved easily into the conversation area, so everyone has a seat and a say in the discussion.
- Seasonalize. If it’s cold outside, gather your guests around the fireplace, and make sure it’s ready with fireplace tools and firewood. Bring the outside in with decorative bowls of pinecones and vases of holly branches. Drape throws on the sofa and chairs.
- Soften your lighting. Dimmers are a low cost, easy way to bring drama and coziness to a space. Put all of your lights on dimmers and add candles the enhance the ambiance, but make sure to keep the candles scent-free.
- Make it festive. Buy inexpensive bulb ornaments in colors that complement your color scheme and put them in bowls. In addition to playing holiday music, run your favorite holiday movies on your TVs with the sound down. Everyone loves classic holiday films.
Once you’ve made your home holiday party ready, sit back, relax and enjoy your loved ones.
Happy Holidays from your friends at Handyman Connection!